Now after you have arrived to Canada, you need to know what to do next. in this post I will give you your Welcome to Canada Checklist, and then I will elaborate more in each one ... so I will write a separate detailed post about every action item. Here is your list:
- Find a place to live (Housing): I talked about this in previous post (Preparing your Landing II - Where to Stay) so I hope you have at least a temporary a place to stay by now. However, I will talk about Housing in details in later post including all the housing options (Apartment Rental, Condo rental ...etc) you have and your rights as a tenant.
- Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Apply for a Health Card (OHIP)
- Apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) if you have kids
- Open a Bank Account: I recommend RBC Royal Bank as it is the biggest bank in Canada. I will elaborate more about Financial issues in later post.
- Apply for a Driver’s Licence
- Job Search: Get information about finding a job by finding an Employment Resource Centre (ERC) close to your home, where you can learn about your rights as an employee and lots of useful information about how to "job search".
- Find a Settlement Agency close to your home
- Find a Community Health Centre close to your home
- Find a Public Library close to your home
- Find out how to register your children in school
- Get maps of streets and bus routes
- Find English Classes for you and your family
- Find out where to shop: Food, Clothes, etc ...
You have a lot to do, be prepared ... you need to work hard :) Good luck.