Now after I've been in Canada for 5+ years ... and I'm settled with stable job and good network, I decided to start a new venture in my journey.
So I've launched an online store where I sell Handmade cool stylish leather bags and backpacks ... and I called it cooleather.com. I import the bags from handmade leather workshops in Spain and I sell them here in North America (Canada and USA), it's a huge market!
I'm sharing this with you for few reasons:
- To bring to your attention that Canada is FULL of opportunities ... if you got creative ... other than employment.
- When you first come to Canada and you have some experience in some niche start leverage this experience while doing your job search ... you may end up making more money than employment.
- and finally to get your feedback on the site :) so please leave your comments below ... your opinion is so helpful :)
[Update] mochilas de cuero is a leather backpack in Spanish. It turned out there is a big market in Spain.
[Update April 8, 2013]
For those who are interested in establishing an online story, here is a list of to do:
It’s actually pretty simple to do all the setup in Canada. You need the following steps:
- Establish a corporation. Not mandatory though but there is huge tax advantages here. You can do that online or through an accountant, it would cost you around $600 including all the fees.
- Once you have a business number, you need to call CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) and get an import/export number. This process is spontaneous, you get your number over the phone and it allows you to get lower customs fees and taxes
- You would want to sign a agreement with shipping companies to get 15% off of CanadaPost and up to 40% off of UPS.
- You need to get your inventory, take good photos
- Implement an online store, which I can help you with. And start upload your products.
- There are so many tips on how you can get visibility in search engines and exposure in the online space. This is something I’m consulting on so I can help you with that.