Monday, June 30, 2008

Just Landed IV - Apply for SIN

As I mentioned in the "Welcome to Canada Checklist" post. basically The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You will be asked for your SIN whenever you deal with anything related to money, Tax, Welfare, Job Salary, Banks Services ...etc. That's why it's vital to get your SIN ASAP after arriving in Canada. how to do that? well it's pretty easy, you have many options to do it:

  • At a Service Canada Centre:
    Service Canada has made it easy for you to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), replace your card or amend your SIN record.

    Simply gather the document(s) you need and take them to your nearest Service Canada Centre. A Citizen Service Agent will work with you to process your application online. If your application and document(s) are in order, you will get a Social Insurance Number in one visit and receive your card within five working days by mail. Plus, by applying at a Service Canada Centre, you won’t have to send your personal documents by mail.
  • By Mail:
    If you need to apply by mail, please follow these steps: complete an application form gather your original document(s) Send your completed application, original document(s) and payment, if required to: Service Canada Social Insurance Registration Office P.O. Box 7000 Bathurst, New Brunswick E2A 4T1 If you send your application by registered mail, we will send your document(s) and SIN card in the same manner. We are not responsible for document(s) lost in the mail. If your application meets the requirements, you’ll receive your card in the mail within three weeks.
  • By Phone:

    1 - Have on hand Immigration identity document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, such as a Permanent Resident Card.

    2 - Dial toll-free 1-888-428-0888 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except statutory holidays).

    If you are using a Touch-Tone Telephone, answer the questions from the automated system using your telephone keypad. An agent will then come on the line to finalize your request.

    3 - If you are using a Rotary Dial Telephone (which isn't most likely to be the case!), wait for an agent to assist you. As soon as the agent validates your identity, your application will be processed.

    4- Provide the registration number on your identification number on your Citizenship and Immigration document. The agent will also ask you some personal information to verify your identity.

Congratulations! you have completed another imprtant action item in the "Welcome to Canada Checklist" :)


Anonymous said...

Just to clarify - if you are landed on an OUTSIDE Canada application, then the PR visa stapled into your passport is enough to apply for a SIN card the day after you land.

If you landed as an INSIDE applicant, then you must wait for the PR card to be sent to you. You can only use the PR card to apply for the SIN card, as the conformation of landing document you get at the CIC office is not considered legal by HRSDC.

Really silly policy but it is the reality.

Popular Posts