Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Legal Services - Getting a Lawyer

Even though I have never used a lawyer since I stated my immigration process till now, but you might need one at some point in time. Now finding the right lawyer is very important. Here are a few ways to start:

• Ask friends, colleagues and family if they know a lawyer they can recommend.
• Ask a settlement worker or another worker at a social service agency for suggestions.
• Look in the Yellow Pages of the telephone book under "Lawyer."
• Contact the Lawyer Referral Service run by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
• Search for a certified specialist in the Law Society of Upper Canada’s online directory: http://www1.lsuc.on.ca/specialist/jsp/directory1.jsp

Lawyer Referral Service (LRS):

The Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) can give you the phone number of a lawyer in your area who practises the type of law related to your situation. You can also ask the LRS to ensure that the lawyer they suggest speaks your first language.

Lawyer Referral Service (LRS): 1-900-565-4577

This service costs $6 per referral. This fee is added to your phone bill. You can call the LRS lawyer for a free consultation of 30 minutes maximum. You can decide not to hire this person as your lawyer, but you cannot ask the LRS for another referral for the same legal problem.


Popular Posts