Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Preparing your Landing V - Documents you should bring

When you come to Canada, you must show your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) to a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officer at the Port of Entry. The officer will make sure your travel and immigration documents are correct.

  1. The CIC officer will check that your visa has not expired. You cannot use a permanent residence visa after it expires. The expiration date is shown on the visa. Permanent residence visas cannot be extended, so make sure you use your visa in the proper time.
  2. You must bring a valid passport with you. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  3. You will have to answer questions like the ones you answered on your Application for Permanent Residence in Canada. The CIC officer asks these questions to make sure you are of good character and are in good health.
  4. You must also show proof of your funds at this time.
The above list of items is the minimum of what you will bring with you. Below is a list of documents that you will want to make sure you have with you. These will be useful and helpful for you and your family in the areas of employment, health, education and finding housing.
Make sure that you have the following documents:

  1. Landing Record, of Permanent Residence (COPR) (visa issued by the Canadian authorities)
  2. Passport or other travel documents. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  3. Birth certificate
  4. Marriage certificate (if you are married)
  5. Family records
  6. Valid driver's licence: You need to bring a Driving Experience Letter from your country to avoid starting from Scratch in getting your Driver's licence in Canada (G1 and G).
  7. Medical records
  8. Dental records
  9. Vaccination booklet, specially for your kids (if any)
  10. Official school records for school age children
  11. Diplomas, degrees and other proofs of education
  12. Academic credentials evaluation report (if you have had your education assessed before coming to Canada - a good idea!)
  13. Academic transcripts: very important if you are an engineer or a doctor, because you will need to work on your Professional License before you can are ALLOWED to work in Canada.
  14. Course and internship descriptions
  15. Proof of work experience: reference letters from previous and current employers
  16. Proof of continuing education
  17. Professional qualification certificates: specially for IT Professionals, Project Managers (PMP), and Accountants!
  18. Up-to-date resume or summary of work experience, with any letters or recommendation from former employers
  19. Proof of funds available
If you are interested in continuing your Education in Canada and take either Online Degree or in Campus Degree, then you need to make sure to bring the above related documents, as going back to school is one of the best options to advance your career and get a job easily, as a Degree from a Canadian University is considered a "Canadian Experience" and highly recognised in the Canadian Job Market. However I will talk in details about that in a later post.

by this post, you are ready fr your landing journey. Next posts will be focused on what to do after landing :).


Anonymous said...

Hello Nabil,

Your blog is clear, very informative and well organized. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please give more information on the "Driving Experience Letter". Aren't valid local and international driving licences sufficient?


Anonymous said...

It varies by Canadian province. Each province has rules. In Ontario you MUST have insurance, and to get it, you need to provide a history.

For the US and other certain countries, Canada has a reciprocal licencing agreement so it's not too much of a hassle, but please look up official documentation per province, and check whether your country is included or not in the reciprocal agreement.


Anonymous said...

Wonderful and most helpful blog. Congratulations.

I have a question on "Academic credentials evaluation report (if you have had your education assessed before coming to Canada - a good idea!)"

I wonder how one can have education assessed before going to Canada. Is there an office in Canada one can send academic credentials too? Is there an international organization that does that?

Thanks in advance.

Unknown said...

Thanks Berta and so happy you like the blog :)

Yes sure, you can have your education assessed before coming to Canada, here is the international organization that is highly recognized in Canada:

Good luck and Welcome to Canada!

Vixie said...

This is exactly what I was looking for! I am in the process of immigrating to Canada, as my application has already been received by the office in Mississauga last week.

I was using the canadavisa forum as my main source for questions, but your blog is way more insightful!

Thank You for taking the time and putting in the effort.

This whole process has been very frustrating.. It started 18 months ago and there have been many days where I felt I was chasing my tail looking for answers.

Thanks Again!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,

Is it enough to bring with me only one copy of each reference from previous and current employers and lator on recopy of them and send to different employers while I will search for the job?

All the best,


Nzm said...

Dear Sir,

There is no any Canadian Bank in Azerbaijan. How can I transfer my money to Canada?

All the best,


Popular Posts